health education

Google Groups Subscribe to ehealthedu
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Sunday, April 30, 2006

to increase milk production.

QUESTION: I had a breast reduction in 1986. With the birth of my first child, I attempted breastfeeding without success. My problem was I produced very, very little milk. I used a hospital grade double pump as well as supplemental feeding at the breast and with the finger. Now I am due with my second child March 24th and have been discussing with my lactation consultants at my HMO on how I could help to increase my milk production.

They have given me names of herbal remedies such as "Mother's Milk Tea" and "Fenugreek"/Methi. They have said I should get the tea without Camphrey in it but cannot tell me what is in it or how much should be taken. And as far as fenugreek, I only know it is a seed and am enlisting the help of an Indian friend of mine to see if her family has heard of it helping lactation. What I am really looking for, in conjunction with my lactation consultants, is more detailed information on the 'Non-Medicinal' forms of inducing lactation, including "dosages" and ingredients/preparation. I would appreciate any information or referrals to Books/Websites. Of course I will be sharing this information with my consultants so they may review and learn as well.

Thank you so much,






hi

Fenugreek is one of the oldest known medicinal herbs. It has been used to help lower cholesterol, treat wounds, and ease menstrual pain. It has also been used to treat coughs and bronchitis, ease asthma and sinus problems, and soothe sore throats. I have been really impressed with the results women have reported, although it does not work for everyone.

While fenugreek does come in a tea form, most women prefer the capsules. The tea is a little bitter. The dosage is 2-3 capsules with each meal (6-9 per day). If this dosage doesn't work for you, then taking larger amounts will not help either. There is a certified herbalist named Tami Karnes who is very knowledgeable about lactation. She has a website at ww.onewithnature.net. She offers a free catalog, but does charge for advice I believe. The other most-commonly mentioned herb said to help milk supply is blessed thistle. A good health-food store should also have knowledgeable people that can help you. I have received wonderful advice from a store near me. Look for the independently-owned store, not the big chain-store. Ask around your town--there should be someone local to go to. Good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Health - Diet - Food safty - Teen - Date - Feminine Hygiene - Care your Eyes